Army press release dated 22nd Nov
On the night of the 21st November, the British Army celebrated the achievements of their top Sportsmen and Sportswomen at the Army Sports Awards Ceremony last. Hosted by the Chief of the General Staff General Sir Mark Carleton-Smith, the Army Sports Awards recognised the success of the Army’s remarkable athletes across a wide range of sporting disciplines both nationally and internationally.
The CGS told the audience that: “Sport today is a vital part of the Army’s identity and its lifeblood.” He added: “This is about getting the whole Army back into Sport, reminding ourselves why we love it and why it’s important” The evening, which was sponsored by the RBL, was attended by 290 guests, and was shown live on Forces TV.
The winners of the categories were:
- Sports Man of the Year; LSgt Natty Ngwenya, 1 Grenadier Guards
- Sports Woman of the Year; Sgt Danni Hodgkinson, Queen Alexandra’s Royal Army Nursing Corps
- Rising Star; OCdt Kay Bryson, Royal Military Academy Sandhurst
- Lifetime Achievement; Lt Col Charles Bromley Gardner
- Team of the Year; Army Women’s Cross Country and Road Race Team
- The Army UK Sports Trophies for the best Major and Minor Unit were presented to 8 Training Battalion, Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers and 160 Provost Company, Royal Military Police by the Chief of the General Staff. These trophies are awarded in recognition of participation in and support to sport at all levels.
Sport is a key activity in the Army as the qualities engendered through participation are the same qualities required of soldiers in battle. Participation in Sport also empowers soldiers and develops leaders. The Army places a high importance on all sport and makes opportunities available to personnel to compete and officiate at the highest levels.
Words and images copyright MOD Army